Please be aware, shipping companies have been hit hard with issues relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. This has resulted in a variety of problems like longer ship times and damaged or missing shipments. We understand the impact is far-reaching and there are no easy answers to the problems. Transfer Flow has been in contact with both XPO and FedEx representatives to find ways to help work with these terminals to increase accuracy and to keep our customers as informed as possible. Please see below in our Shipping Guidelines for tips on how you can help with your shipment.
(1) Packaging for Replacement Tank, In-bed Auxiliary Tanks and Toolbox Tanks.
(2) Packaging for Refueling Tanks.
Replacement tanks will be shipped inside a heavy-duty cardboard box with reinforcements throughout and pallet runners. The box is secured with staples and 2-3 very strong green plastic bands (depending on the length of the box). Installation kits and instructions are included in the box with the tank in a separate heavy-duty bag. Any optional accessories ordered will also be included inside the box.
Trax 4™ Auxiliary and 40-Gal, 50-Gal and 82-Gal Refueling Systems
Trax 4™ Auxiliary tanks and select refuelers will be shipped inside a heavy-duty cardboard box with reinforcements throughout and pallet runners. The box will be secured with staples and 2-3 very strong green plastic bands (depending on the length of the box). Installation kits and instructions are included in the box with the tank in a separate heavy-duty bag. Any optional accessories ordered will also be included inside the box.
50/50, 100-Gal “L” Shaped and Refueling Tanks
Larger refueling tanks will be secured on a pallet and wrapped with plastic. Installation kits and instructions are included inside the plastic wrap with the tank in a separate heavy-duty bag. Any optional accessories ordered will also be secured inside the plastic wrap.
Tool box Tanks
Trax 4™ Auxiliary tanks and Refueling tanks with a tool box will be shipped inside a heavy-duty cardboard box with reinforcements throughout and pallet runners. The box will be secured with staples and 2-3 very strong green plastic bands (depending on the length of the box). Installation kits and instructions are included inside the tool box in a separate heavy-duty bag. Any optional accessories ordered will also be included inside the tool box.
If would like to pick up your Transfer Flow fuel tank system in person at our facility in Chico, CA, you can expect the packaging to be the same as above. Make sure to bring adequate strapping to secure your tank system to your vehicle. If your fuel tank system is longer than eight feet and hangs out the back of a truck/vehicle, it would be wise to bring a red flag to comply with road safety laws. PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT PROVIDE TARPS OR PROTECTION FROM WEATHER. IF YOU’RE PICKING UP IN POOR WEATHER CONDITIONS, PLEASE COME PREPARED WITH AMPLE PROTECTION.
Step by Step Guide to Properly Inspect and Receive LTL (XPO and FedEx Freight) Shipments
- Communicate any special delivery restrictions or obstacles to Transfer Flow at the time of your order. “Liftgate services” are available for an extra fee for customers with limited help on their end. (To see if this is a good fit for you, ask your Transfer Flow sales representative for more detailed information and pricing at the time of your order.) Liftgates are also offered if your order is placed online.
- Have a forklift or ample help on location to offload the truck. XPO and FedEx Freight service include “curbside delivery”, meaning they will not likely pull into driveways. The driver will move the product to the end of the container but is not responsible for offloading your product for you. You will need to thoroughly inspect your package while the driver is present. It is also a good idea to have a smartphone nearby in case you need to take any photos or call us with questions!
It is a requirement of the shipping company that someone be available on location to sign for the delivery. You will need to thoroughly inspect your package while the driver is present. It is also a good idea to have a smartphone nearby in case you need to take any photos or to call us with questions. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE INDIVIDUAL RECEIVING THE SHIPMENT TO THOROUGHLY INSPECT FOR DAMAGE WHILE THE DRIVER WAITS. Signing for packages without thorough inspection clears the shipping company of all responsibility and waives any right to a shipping claim. If any of this is unclear, please call our office at (800) 442-0056 for further explanation. Any damage to the product, no matter how small, needs to be notated on the delivery receipt as “DAMAGED”.
As soon as we receive confirmation from the shipping company that the package was signed for as damaged, we will take appropriate steps in resolving the situation.
Write out on the delivery receipt “DELIVERED SHORT” and accept what is there after proper inspection. It is likely the missing piece(s) will show up in the system and be delivered shortly after. If that is not the case, notify us by e-mail or telephone and we will assist however we can. If the shipping company declares the package “lost” we can promptly file a claim on your behalf and ship out a replacement as soon as possible
If the driver will not allow inspection of the product
All XPO and FedEx drivers we work with are cooperative and reasonable people. We rarely have this problem, but in this unlikely situation write out on the delivery receipt “DAMAGED”. You should not assume responsibility if you cannot 100% determine if the product is in good condition. If the driver presents further difficulties in allowing this notation, please give us a call and we will attempt to resolve the situation. If our office is closed, please notate something on the delivery receipt before letting the driver leave that explains the difficult situation. We will address it as soon as possible.
WHAT CAN BE DONE IF MY SHIPMENT IS DAMAGED BUT I DIDN’T MAKE A NOTE ON THE DELIVERY RECEIPT? At this stage of the process, by signing for your product free and clear without noting the damage on the receipt, the shipping company views the transaction as complete and is unlikely to consider any recourse on unreported damage. While there is nothing that Transfer Flow can do to challenge this signed document, we are happy to provide customers with the shipping terminal contact information to dispute the damage directly. If a shipment has notable damage on the outside of the packaging, on occasion it is reported by employees/truck drivers internally. Upon calling the shipping terminal and speaking to an XPO or FedEx Freight representative, if a customer can successfully change the status from “free and clear” to “DAMAGED”, Transfer Flow will gladly commence the shipping claim process after confirmation from XPO or FedEx.
Tracking your order
All orders shipping via XPO Logistics and FedEx Freight have a Pro Number that can be used to track their location. Transfer Flow includes the Pro Number with the invoice which is emailed to you on the day it ships. (Be sure to check your spam folders if you do not see it). With that information, we encourage you to follow these steps:
- Use the XPO https://app.ltl.xpo.com/appjs/tracking/search or FedEx http://www.fedexfreight.fedex.com/ca_english/tracking/ webpage and track your order with the provided Pro Number. Make note of the expected ship date on the webpage.
- On the tracking page you will find the city and state of the terminal managing your shipment. Click the link to show the terminal phone number and address.
- The date on the webpage is usually the date the package is expected at the terminal and NOT ALWAYS the actual date the package delivers. We recommend calling the terminal with your Pro Number in hand either the day before or the early morning of the listed date. By doing this you are proactively verifying the package is at the terminal and, in many cases, able to schedule it on a truck for either that day (or whenever the terminal expects it can go). For those who do not receive this information via e-mail, we are happy to provide it over the phone. Call our office at 1-800-442-0056 and we will provide you with your Pro Number and terminal contact number. If requested at the time of your order, XPO Logistics and FedEx Freight will still call individuals and businesses with regular hours to arrange a delivery date. If you’ve already had an issue with the delivery date being missed and you’re told it will be delivering the following day, the early morning call the next day may help to ensure it gets on the truck